Friday 20 April 2018

Am I fixing the boat, or is the boat fixing me?

Lifting out for varnishing
I discovered a great Youtube sailing channel recently, by Christian Williams, and the title of this post is a quote from him.

Marelle has just been lifted out for varnishing and antifouling before we go on another sailing trip - we have 4 months this time and no particular place to go, but will most likely be heading towards Falmouth and then back along the French coast.

We are getting a radar fitted by Greenham Regis, and a place to put the chart plotter inside the boat rather than just at the helm, also a remote station VHF so we can use the VHF in the cockpit.

I am also making a new set of bow cushions, using a Sailrite LSZ1 sewing machine.  I finally got one of these after persevering with a heavy duty Singer for a few years, and breaking needles and losing tension all the time.  It has been great, really easy to use and I probably should have got one years ago, it would have saved a lot of frustration!

Windlass cover with chain extension
I made a windlass cover complete with an extension for the chain, as we got some water coming through the chain hole when waves came over the deck on our last trip.  I used a "Pres'n'Snap" tool to install snaps on the chain part, I thought this would be really easy watching the videos on Youtube, but my hands aren't very strong and it was more like a torture machine!  I went through about 10 practise snaps.  The finished cover has turned out really well though.

I am really looking forward to going sailing this year.  Martin started to teach me how to sail last year, and this makes me feel a bit more confident being on the boat.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks to shared this very good information, which is really great

    Yacht Rental Dubai
    Yacht in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boat hire is the easy way to relish all the benefits of sailing out on the water, without actually owning the liability of a boat. Having your own boat might seem like a great idea, but when you look into the costs it might put a damper on your enthusiasm. boat hireTasmania

    ReplyDelete